Digital marketing is a sophisticated approach that businesses must take into account to be successful online. Due to the development of different technologies, customers have shifted their attention to other devices and other forms of communication. It has forced companies to depend on social media marketing, content creation, PPC campaigns, and email marketing.
Today we are going to talk about email marketing, its popularity, and why it remains a powerful business advertising channel. You will learn how to create email marketing campaigns, what types are there, and what the crucial tips to follow throughout the process are. So, let’s start with an explanation of email marketing.
Index of contents
- What is email marketing?
- Why do you need email marketing?
- What are your goals?
- Types of email campaign strategy
- How to gather more subscribers?
- How to optimize email marketing campaigns?
What is email marketing?
Email marketing is an act of reaching customers or subscribers through email to promote your products or services. It plays an important role in teaching folks about your brand or keeping them engaged between purchases.
After acquiring their email address with their permission, you can send them different types of emails and promote your business. The entire process is repeated continuously, with the goal of reaching as many email subscribers as possible.
It is one of the most effective marketing approaches because a person who gives you permission to send email, that means they are interested in your blog or business and what you are offering.
Email marketing is a compelling advertising strategy. Many companies are using it, and you should too, no matter what your niche is.
Why do you need email marketing?
If you’re wondering why email marketing is necessary for your blog or business, there are a few things you need to understand right away:
It is a long-term growth strategy, building a company that is perceived as a serious and influential brand is not an easy task.
If you want to achieve this goal without significant financial investment, it will take time and require immense patience and dedication.
If you are looking for a way to build a loyal customer brand without spending a lot of money, building a great email list is the first step you should take. It will let you to grow your business gradually, with an email list that is a lot of people who want to support you.
Also, this is a great way to increase the number of returning visitors. Building a community of caring and repeat customers is of great importance, and a great email list followed by a great marketing strategy can make this a reality. Email marketing is one of the best converting marketing channels.
It’s a fact that the person who has subscribed to your mailing list is interested in your content, service or product. Also, communication by email is considered private, which means that a person has a certain level of trust in your business.
On average, each person has 1.7 email addresses. This equates to billions of email addresses globally. Despite the growth and prominence of mobile messengers and chat apps, e-mail is an integral part of daily online life. In 2019, the number of global e-mail users amounted to 3.9 billion and is set to grow to 4.48 billion users in 2024. Also, people are now more easily accessible through their email accounts, as most of them are linked to their mobile devices.
When you consider all of these points, it becomes apparent how powerful the right email marketing approach can be. Let’s go into the details on how you could increase the number of subscribers on your email list.
What are your email campaign goals?
The first thing to think about is the purpose of your email marketing campaign. It is closely related to the options available to you, something we will talk about in the next section.
With an email marketing campaign, you can attract people to your website to share content or sell more products and services, or make an invitation announcement that your business is doing.
Depending on the needs of your business, you will start working on a particular email marketing campaign. Let’s take an in-depth look at each of these types of email strategies.
Types of email campaign strategy
Based on your goals, these are the different types of email you can create:
This is a type of email related to the news on your website. This approach is generally chosen by websites that rely primarily on earnings from advertising revenue. If you belong to this group, a newsletter is a good strategy that will allow you to develop stable traffic growth on your blog or website.
Businesses that choose to bid by email are generally from the e-commerce industry. The benefit for those on the mailing list is the specific offers they can get from your company. This type of approach provides value for both parties. The business can increase the number of items sold, while the customer is in a special position as a result of being subscribed to your business.
This is usually an invitation sent to the entire mailing list. If your company is hosting an event, such as a physical product reveal or webinar, this is the starting point that will significantly increase awareness. This is a mix of a newsletter and email offers as people participating in the event are asked to only watch or make a purchase as well.
This approach is perfect as a customer retention strategy. If you are selling a service to your subscribers, this is the best way to notify them of new product features that they have received.
This is an excellent approach for those who decide to abandon their shopping cart. Create a system that reminds them that they have abandoned the shopping cart and have not finished shopping. Best of all, this process can be completely automated, however, it does bring an improvement in customer conversion rates.
Depending on the goals you have set for your business, you can alternate various types of emails sent to your subscribers, which will maximize the effectiveness of your email marketing. But, before we get into more details on optimization, let’s review subscriber list growth and how it should be built.
How to gather more subscribers for Email marketing?
The following are some ways to help you grow your email list more efficiently.
Provide value in exchange for emails
Why should a people provide their contact details to you? This is the first thing you should ask yourself and your marketing team. Work to create a system that encourages people to leave their contact details.
For example, you can gift a free e-book to your readers, in exchange for their contact email. Also, you can create special offers that are only specific to the subscriber. This is a great incentive that will drive a higher percentage of visitors to subscribe to your email list.
Remind users to subscribe
Having the subscribe button on a single page is not the best approach to growing your mailing list. On some pages, you can make the button more prominent, but generally, the user should be able to subscribe from any page on your website.
For example: It is better to periodically run a banner at the top of the pages of your website. Also, use other marketing channels to notify people about your email list. A social media network is a significant place where you can tell your followers.
Make the subscribe button noticeable
Subscribers should always be able to notice the subscription option quickly. This will increase the growth rates of your subscriber list, as more visitors will be able to see the button.
For example, if the entire website is dominant in one color, use the other color to attract the attention of visitors. They will immediately know where to click to subscribe, and once they render the verdict, based on the quality of your content, they can easily do so.
Make subscription as simple as possible
Keep a few steps to subscribe to your email list as possible. Forget about using forms that need too much detail. Always create a simple subscription form. People don’t want to waste time, therefore filling website form with their name and email address is enough for you and allows them to fill in the blanks quickly.
Know who you are targeting
Throughout the planning process, it is essential that you think about who joins the email list. Create a system that allows you to determine the age and gender of the subscriber. It will make personalizing emails a much easier task while improving their effectiveness.
Welcome and exit pop-ups
These two-time frames are perfect for requesting contact information. When a user visits the website, this is a welcome message, but when done, there is no problem with a pop-up window before closing the browser tab. These small steps will help you grow your mailing list more easily.
By following these steps, you will ensure that more people subscribe to your email list. If you are looking for more interesting tips on how to attract more subscribers, you can check out our other guide that covers this particular topic.
How to optimize the Email Marketing Campaign?
The next step is to understand what an email must look like to be effective. It’s harder to achieve higher click-through and conversion rates, but with a few optimization tips, it’s doable.
- Title: Creating a title is the most important thing to focus on. Over time, you need to get as creative as possible and try various types of email headlines. It’s the first thing a user sees, and it should be created to engage the reader and get them to open the email. The more attractive the subject of your email, the higher the open rates. Getting to the sweet spot takes time, so experiment with different title templates and see what works best.
- Email length: Emails are different from the usual content on the website and should be clear and brief. It needs to take as little reading time as possible so that the reader can decide whether to click on the link or not.
- Language: Use simple language as it will make things easier for the user. The last thing you want to do is confuse with complex words and sentence structures.
- Include images: Pictures attract more attention. You can always create images that show the offer that you send to your customers. Don’t forget to make images smaller, as many people will receive your email on their smartphones and tablets.
- Unsubscribe button: This is the freedom of choice that you are giving your subscribers, but it is also a useful feature because it prevents them from putting you in the spam folder.
- Include a call to action: The recipient of the email should already understand what your email is about from its subject and a short description. You’re ready to act in just seconds, so put a call to action in your email and make it easy to click the link.
- Email verification: This is another security measure that will help you stay away from the spam filter. Additionally, this will increase the trust your customers have in your brand, as their email becomes virtually impossible to replicate.
- Personal approach: Avoid sending emails as a business. The person should know who the email is from but use an employee’s email address throughout the process. The recipient of the email will feel that he or she is being contacted by a person and not the company. It will positively affect your email click-through rates.
- Content relevance: Always send content that is really what the subscriber is confusing. Taking any other step and trying to mislead people will backfire and lead to a decrease in subscriber numbers.
- Optimize your landing page: Always make sure to optimize the landing pages that are mainly visited from the mailing list. Even if you accumulate an excellent email click-through rate, without a correct landing page, you will not get good results. Just make the page easy to navigate. Highlight the call-to-action button for the strategy and provide some additional details to support the information provided in the email. Don’t add too much information on the landing page as they will divert the visitor.
By following this information, you will be able to create an effective email marketing strategy. The more tests you run, the better the results.
Evaluate the results of your campaign, optimize and improve
The best thing about email marketing is that it is completely measurable. This is important because you can perform A / B testing to determine which approach works best.
For example, you can set up multiple email templates to see which one will work best. The same goes for landing pages, which can also be optimized for better performance.
Additionally, email automation tools will help you better understand what your email open and click rates are. This will allow you to experiment with different content, images, calls to action, and email titles.
Taking this approach is necessary because it will allow you to improve the effectiveness of your email marketing over time. Let’s take a look at a couple of tools that will help you track data and automate certain processes.
We hope you found this email marketing guide helpful. As you can see, with a couple of smart moves, you can create a cycle where your mailing list will continually grow. As the market is constantly changing, remember to use one of the tools mentioned above, as they will make it much easier for you to test, experiment, and optimize your email strategy for the best performance.
Good luck and be patient – the results will come after a while and you will love them.